Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The War To Sell You A Mattress Is An Internet Nightmare

Why did Casper sue a mattress blogger? A closer look reveals a secret, multimillion-dollar battle to get you into bed. 

[Source photos: gilas/iStock; yotrak/iStock; JANIFEST/iStock; g-stockstudio/iStock]


One day in the spring of 2016 I mentioned to a friend that I needed a new mattress. Mine was a sunken hand-me-down that had become about as comfortable as concrete.

“I know a guy who can give you a free mattress,” my friend said.

This sounded too good to be believed, but my friend protested it was true: “This guy Kenny, he reviews mattresses online, and companies just send them to him. He can’t get rid of them fast enough.” Not long after came the email introduction: “David, meet Kenny.”

Journalists aren’t supposed to accept freebies. But the one thing I was certain of was that I would never write an article about online mattress reviewing, a subject so self-evidently boring that I became a little sad just imagining it. So when Kenny replied that he expected to have a mattress to offload soon, I only asked him what sort of wine he liked.

Read More: https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars
Related Article: Is Your Business Ready For Semantic Search?

No comments:

Post a Comment